Favorite Music That Impacted My Emotions

 













It's been a long while since I shared a musical post with you. Today, I'm thinking about music that blew my mind or caused me to swoon. I have heard thousands of songs during my life time from various genres. And every song leaves an impression but not as big an impression as the following ten songs.


1). Prelude to the Afternoon of the Faune by Claude Debussy

I heard this song the first time when I was on college break. I was bored and I rummaged through my mother's record collection. Since I had taken a music appreciation class I wanted to listen to classical music even though I was more into rock music.

I found the record with Claude Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of the Faune. Not knowing what a faune was and what a prelude to the afternoon might entail, I placed the record on the old-fashion turntable. When the first strains of the harp came through the speakers I nearly fainted because the music was sheer beauty to my ears.

Two decades later, I rediscovered the piece of music and this was around the time I started experimenting with music on my body. Again, I nearly fainted. Obviously, the structure, contours, orchestration, and sheer enchantment touched my soul more deeply than any other piece of music ever.


2) Miles Davis' Kind of Blue (entire album)

I discovered this album also when I was researching the power of music. Again, it's the contours and structure of the songs that appealed to my emotions. But this time I experienced more with my intellect and less with my heart. I didn't feel like fainting. Instead, I felt like hanging out in a used bookstore or a coffee shop sipping tea on a lazy afternoon. This album influenced me while I wrote a screenplay of course featuring an artist.


3) The Riverman by Nick Drake 

The images of the River Styx and the boatman taking the souls across the river roam through my mind when I listen to this melancholic song. The key, the chords, and Nick Drake's voice touch my heart. I'm moved by the turn of phrases too. And there's a longing I feel for the late Nick Drake because when a songwriter composes a song this good I want to meet him or her.

This song inspired a novel I wrote based on the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice.


4) Autumn Leaves sung by Eva Cassidy

Eva Cassidy's cover of this melancholic song is not the first time I encountered the lyrics and melody. The first time I heard it was Edith Piaf singing the lyrics in French and that wistful version could also be on my list.

I clicked on a faded black and white image of Eva Cassidy that appeared in my YouTube feed. This was in 2016 and I had no idea who she was but something about her face and the song intrigued me. After sobbing for the duration of the song, I looked up the story of Eva Cassidy and cried even more. Certainly, a bone was touched. 

Since that time, I have channeled Eva's spirit several times and the topic usually revolved around the healing power of music. Of course!


5) Clarinet Concerto by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

This particular piece of music which I believe is in the key of A (which resonates strongly with my body). Every time I listen to the piece I feel delighted and I get a sense that Mozart is in the room watching me listen to his composition. I love Mozart anyway and this is not the only one of his compositions that touches me deeply.


6) Bach's Goldberg Variations performed by Glenn Gould

Glenn Gould actually recorded Bach's variations twice, towards the beginning of his career and towards the end. I prefer Gould's recordings to any other pianist. This could be because I had an encounter with Glenn Gould's spirit when I was 19 years old and a college student learning about classical music. Or it could be because this piece of music framed the documentary about Glenn Gould called 32 Short Films about Glenn Gould.

I feel the music resonate throughout my entire body. I feel my face light up with different emotions and moods to match the various short pieces that comprise the variations.


7) Let it  Be by The Beatles

When I first gave this song my focus I was in high school going through a challenging time. John Lennon had died and I rediscovered the Beatles. I also felt lonely, depressed, and alienated during that time. So, the words, "When all the broken-hearted people in the world agree, there will be an answer, let it be" struck home with me. 

I'm unable to sing along with this song without breaking down into tears. I pick up on the loneliness of people in the world, their grief, and anguish which is too much for me to bear. And yet, the line about Mother Mary and comfort help me get through the song without completely breaking down.


8) Brother Warrior sung by Sharon Burch (A Navajo-Dine musician)

Native American musician Sharon Burch covered the late Kate Wolf's Brother Warrior and she brought a new dimension to the song. This song breaks my heart because it reflects on the awakening of the Divine Masculine in the world during a time when the natural world suffers. It's about the emergence of a new man and a new woman that care about the other creatures. It's also a song about courage.

I'm not able to say the lyrics or sing the song without weeping. I played the song on a community radio show that I hosted and I had to leave the sound booth because tears came to my eyes. And I didn't want to get back on the air while I was crying.


9) Apocalypse Lullaby by The Wailin' Jennys

Similar to Brother Warrior this is a song about the emergence of love on the planet. The female harmonies, contours, structure, and lyrics of this song give me hope. One time when I suffered from a migraine and nausea, I listened to the WJ album that contains this song and I felt better after one listen.

I also enjoyed playing this song on my community radio show.


10) Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder is a favorite soul musician for me because of his delightful vibe. Sir Duke is among his most vibrant songs. From the grooves, the punchy horns, to the lyrics which give tribute to the jazz greats, this song brings back good memories for me and shows me musical excellence.

If I'm feeling depressed or lack motivation, putting this song on lifts my mood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Peyote Songs & The Native American Church

The Practice--Treasure Hunt from the book Whole Music

Talking about Timbre