|Does Wonder Woman have Power Songs? Wikipedia|
I actually came up with the idea of creating a Power Song kit post 9-11 when I had trouble sleeping at night. Like many others, I wasn't just dealing with my fears, but all the fears around me which I soaked up like a sponge. At that time, I found myself reaching for particular recordings, usually featuring world music and usually featuring women vocalists, but not always. From these recordings I put together a list of songs to listen to during stressful times.
On the list, I included Sharon Burch, Monica Salmaso, Arianna Savall, R. Carlos Nakai, Nawang Khechog and others. Oddly, Mozart hadn't appeared on my radar yet so classical wasn't on my original list. That list transformed over time to include, jazz, folk, some 1970s funk and soul, as well as, classical. If it feels good and if it uplifts a mood or relaxing tension or calms fear, it goes in the kit. Think of it as having a musical emergency kit and this kit goes nicely with the Bach Flower Rescue Remedy too.
Here is the step-by-step process:
- Prior to an emergency or stressful situation, keep a music diary and track emotional, mental and physical responses to songs.
- Making note of the songs that calm nerves, relax and invigorate moods. Write a list including these songs and albums.
- Explore music from different genres and cultures then add these to the kit
- While 5 to 10 recordings suffice, I have a music library as my Power Song kit
- Research types of music with healing potential including sacred and secular music
- Add these to the kit too
- Then when a stressful situation shows up, visit your Power Song kit
I have a fun saying, Power Songs make you strong. These songs certainly make us more resilient and keep us in good moods when the blank hits the fan. But just as the name Power Songs implies, we can also build kits that empower us, make us feel more courageous, prosperous or more joyful. If you do this right, you raise your frequency and attract a more joyful life no matter what happens in the outer world. I'm living proof.