In review--Norwegian Wood--Isn't it good?


Elin Furubotn
New Path
Ozella

When I hear the term Norwegian folk music, I usually think of traditional Norwegian music heavy on the hardanger fiddle and medieval folk ballads.  However, Norwegian folk can also refer to singer-songwriters such as Kari Bremnes, a Norwegian musical star, or so many others ranging from 20-years-of-age to well beyond that.  Elin Furubotn follows in the tradition of folk-fusion.  She composes more subtle tunes that range from jazz to folk to rock (the title track) on her album New Path.  She possesses a good ear for melodies that she sings in a near-whisper.   However, don’t be fooled by the softer timbre of Furubotn’s vocals, since she appears passionate about the themes that appear in each of her songs.

I admit that it took me a few listens before New Path grew on me.  While I have heard many recordings graced with Norwegian vocals over the years, for some reason, I was having a difficult time latching on to this recording.  On one hand, I understood the melodies, and I could relate to the English translation of the lyrics, but on the other hand, after listening to too many CDs lately sung in languages unfamiliar to me, I needed to hear strong melodies sung in English.  However, I am over that now.

Today I listened to the CD again and perhaps the shining blue skies outside helped me to relate better to the songs.  The third track, I See You Looking, caught my attention.  The song represents soothing jazz with saxophone and vocals engaging in a subtle conversation.  Furubotn’s vocals arc over plaintive saxophone on the chorus.  This single line stands out from the song, “Winds of redemption will blow caressing me as I go.”  The song Doubt features jaunty percussion and guitar that stands out on the album because of its uniqueness.  However, the true standout on New Path is the final song, Silence, a duet sung a cappella.  The cheeky You Know Damn Well Why I’m Upset combines folk guitar with jazz saxophone and was based on a cafe conversation that Furubotn overheard--a couple squabble.  In my opinion, the recording takes several listens before sinking in, but then you’ll discover some thing you can relate to among these intimate songs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Peyote Songs & The Native American Church

The Practice--Treasure Hunt from the book Whole Music

Talking about Timbre