In review--Soulful Bliss

Chandrika Krishnamurthy Tandon
Soul Call
Om Namo Narayanaya
Self-Release


When I first heard about vocalist Chandrika Krishnamurthy Tandon’s Soul Call, I thought I’d received a kirtan CD in the mail. So I felt surprised when I received a famous healing chant set to Indian pop music. Krishnamurthy Tandon sings the same chant throughout the nine tracks that appear on the invigorating CD. It’s not surprising that the overall feel compares to a Bollywood soundtrack since the producer and musicians recorded it at a soundtrack studio, with orchestral arrangement duties handled by Tejendra Narayan Majumdar.


The Grammy-nominated album has received a devoted following at the Soul Chants website (site listed at the end of the review). Visitors cite the healing effects the chants have had on them. According to the liner notes, “The powerful healing mantra translates to, ‘I surrender all to the Divine Protector; I salute the Divine Maintainer of all; I belong to the Divine Grace that created me; Please bless me to serve The Grace at all times.’”


Also in the liner notes, “Continuous recitation of the mantra’s eight phonemes, Om Na Mo Na Ra Ya Na Ya, is said to cleanse the body of disease causing cells in eight vital centers…” I’ve listened to the recording four times and I’ve not experienced a boost to my health yet. However, I feel relaxed when I listen to Krishnamurthy’s powerful voice. Perhaps, in order for this mantra to live up to its full potential, I’m supposed to sing along, but what a fete singing along with a classically-trained Indian vocalist! Most of us would rather just listen and lose ourselves in her voice.


I’m currently producing a new workshop on Ayurvedic doshas and music and I find that the music on this recording dovetail with my mission. For instance, the first track, Bhoopali, with its slow dreamy beginning leading to invigorating beats and phrases would be ideal for someone balancing Kapha (dosha). The slower tempo Shuddha Sarang could balance Vata as well, as calm Pitta. I also recommend the second track, Bageshri for Vata and Pitta balancing. The Arabic-sounding Basanth Mukhari sounds ideal for individuals with Kapha imbalance who have trouble getting out of bed every morning.  In fact, this chant recording lends itself to a morning listening session. Winter is ruled by Kapha so many of us will feel sluggish during this time and need an extra boost that this recording provides.


I end this review sending out a blessing to Chandrika Krishnamurthy Tandon for devoting her lifework to this special chant and engaging with the healing power of music. The vocalist’s life story acts as an inspiration to any of us seeking our true life calling. First, there’s the courage to leave the old life behind, and then the determination to drift into the unknown until our feet land on the right path for us. If you seek a healing, it certainly doesn’t hurt to listen to this recording a few times. The end result might surprise you like it has the 12,000 visitors to Soul Chants website. And a Grammy nomination awarded to a recently unknown musician is significant too. Miracles happen.


http://www.soulchants.com/
http://www.rockpaperscissors.biz/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Peyote Songs & The Native American Church

The Practice--Treasure Hunt from the book Whole Music

Talking about Timbre